Tokyo said the crash had occurred around 100 km off Cape Muroto in Kochi Prefecture.
- The Japan Times (Image)
- Two U.S. Marine aircraft from Iwakuni air base crashed off the coast of Shikoku, Japan. Two servicemen have been rescued by the Maritime Self-Defense Force, while five men are still reported missing.
- Two U.S. Marine aircraft from Iwakuni air base crash off the coast of Shikoku, Japan. Two servicemen have been rescued by the Maritime Self-Defense Force, while five men are still reported missing.
- Typhoon Chaba heads for western Japan with the islands of Shikoku and Kyushu experiencing heavy rainfall.
- Japan's prime minister Shinzo Abe says he is considering sending Japanese Navy warships to the South China Sea to back-up U.S. naval operations, saying, "With regard to activity by the Self-Defense Forces in the South China Sea, I will consider it while focusing on what effect the situation has on Japan's security." In response, China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Hong Lei, told Chinese state media that China will remain on "high alert for intervention by Japan in the South China Sea issue".
- Typhoon Nangka makes landfall on the Japanese island of Shikoku.
- Typhoon Halong makes landfall on Shikoku in Japan with warnings of the potential of flooding and landslides with at least 39 people killed and nine injured.
- Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyers "Sazanami" and "Samidare" depart Japan to combat piracy in Somalia.