Evacuations are prompted in Butte County, California, as the wildfire has grown to 8,000 acres.
"This fire is very dangerous, please evacuate if asked to do so!" Cal Fire tweeted Thursday
- CBS News (Image)
- At least five people have been killed and more than 150,000 evacuated as two big wildfires rage in California, including Ventura.
- The Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a major California utility based in San Francisco, announces they temporarily turned off power to 60,000 customers in 12 Northern California counties due to threats of wildfires. Red flag warnings are issued to 22 million people in the state.
- The United States Forest Service says that the Mendocino Complex Fire, largest wildfire on record in California, has been contained.
- Authorities arrest 32-year old John Colin Eagle Skoda after investigators concluded that a debris fire he started turned into a 60-square-mile blaze that killed one person and destroyed 35 homes.
- Analysis shows that a rare fire tornado that barreled into the city of Redding on July 26 during the Carr Fire was responsible for the death of a firefighter as he raced towards a neighborhood in flames.