Representative Andy Barr defeated his well-financed Democratic challenger, Amy McGrath, on Tuesday, buoying Republican hopes of minimizing their losses.
- New York Times (Image)
- Midterm elections in the United States are held in all four hundred thirty-five House districts, for thirty-five Senate seats (including two special elections in Minnesota and Mississippi), thirty-nine state and territorial governships, and numerous state and local races.
- U.S. Representative Chris Collins (R-NY) is arrested on charges of securities and wire fraud, conspiracy and lying to investigators. He is accused of passing nonpublic information about Innate Immunotherapeutics, a biotech company, to his son, who traded on the information and passed it along to others. Collins was a director of the company and also a major investor.
- A special election for Ohio's 12th congressional district is held following the resignation of Republican Representative Pat Tiberi. The Republican candidate is Troy Balderson and the Democratic candidate is Danny O'Connor.
- U.S. Representative Duncan D. Hunter (R-CA) and his wife are charged with wire fraud, falsifying records, campaign finance violations and conspiracy. In the indictment unsealed today, federal prosecutors allege that the Hunters illegally used campaign funds to pay personal bills.
- U.S. Representative Chris Collins (R-NY) announces that he is suspending his campaign for re-election in the 2018 midterms, intending to serve out the remainder of his term. Collins was arrested by the FBI on August 8 on charges relating to insider trading.