Recent midterm election
The Democratic Party takes over control of the House, while the Republican Party increases their majority in the Senate.
Live coverage and results of the 2018 midterm Election. Analysis of the race for control of the Senate and the House of Representatives from Nate Silver and the FiveThirtyEight team.
- FiveThirtyEight (Image)
- Republican Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith defeats Democratic candidate Mike Espy in a run off election in Mississippi.
- Florida Democratic candidate Andrew Gillum concedes defeat to Republican candidate Ron DeSantis.
- A week after the election, which was initially too close to call, Democratic Party candidate Kyrsten Sinema is elected to the United States Senate, defeating GOP candidate Martha McSally. Sinema is the first woman elected to represent Arizona in the Senate and first Democrat to win a Senate election in the state since 1988.
- A special election for Ohio's 12th congressional district is held following the resignation of Republican Representative Pat Tiberi. The Republican candidate is Troy Balderson and the Democratic candidate is Danny O'Connor.
- U.S. Representative Chris Collins (R-NY) announces that he is suspending his campaign for re-election in the 2018 midterms, intending to serve out the remainder of his term. Collins was arrested by the FBI on August 8 on charges relating to insider trading.