Recent midterm election
At least 95 women attain congressional office, bringing the total number of women in all parts of Congress to a record 118. Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar share the distinction of becoming the first Muslim congresswomen, while Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland become the first Native American congresswomen.
Women such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez -- soon to be the youngest-ever congresswoman -- have won races across the U.S.
- USA Today (Image)
- As the Florida Senate election heads to a mandatory recount, United States President Donald Trump and Rick Scott claim, without evidence, that widespread voter fraud occurred in Florida during the recent midterm election.
- The United States holds midterm elections for all 435 House seats, for 35 Senate seats (including two special elections in Minnesota and Mississippi), for 39 state and territorial governorships, and for numerous state and local races.
- The Democratic Party takes over control of the House, while the Republican Party increases their majority in the Senate.
- Twitter deletes 10,000 bot accounts that were discouraging people from voting in the midterm elections in the United States.
- The United States Cyber Command contacts individual Russians with the hope to deter them from interfering with upcoming American elections, including the November midterms.