An ex-president of Madagascar and the man who overthrew him in a 2009 coup will ...
- Reuters (Image)
- Madagascar President Hery Rajaonarimampianina resigns from office in order to contest the November presidential election, as required by the Constitution. Senate president Riko Rakotovao becomes interim President of Madagascar until the January 2019 inauguration of a new president.
- The party of former Madagascan President Marc Ravalomanana suspends its role in the unity government after the plane carrying him home from exile was turned away.
- Madagascar's former President Marc Ravalomanana says he will return to the country after three years in exile.
- The return of former Madagascan President Marc Ravalomanana, in exile in South Africa, is blocked by the government on the island. Tear gas is fired to disperse supporters at the international airport.
- South Africa criticises a life sentence passed against former Madagascan President Marc Ravalomanana, as it would "not help" the country's political situation.