Three U.S. troops are killed and three others are wounded in an IED blast near Ghazni, Afghanistan.
Three military personnel have died and three others were injured in the explosion near Ghazni city.
- BBC (Image)
- A senior Taliban commander, Mullah Abdul Manan Akhund, is killed in a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan.
- A series of U.S. airstrikes kills at least 30 Afghan civilians, including 16 children, in Garmsir District, Helmand Province. Additional civilians were left wounded or buried in the rubble. The target of the strikes was a suspected Taliban compound. The United States' strategy aims to push the Taliban into talks.
- A Taliban suicide bomber kills three Czech soldiers on a routine patrol in Charikar, Afghanistan. A U.S. soldier and two Afghan troops are also injured in the bombing.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.
- U.S. President Barack Obama announces that Operation Enduring Freedom's forces are "not winning" the war in Afghanistan.