Since Russia has not returned the ships and sailors
The Verkhovna Rada approves the introduction of martial law in 10 oblasts of Ukraine for a period of 30 days.
Authorities can now restrict public rallies and regulate the media amid rising tension with Russia.
- BBC (Image)
- An emergency National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine meeting is convened in response to the Russian blockade of the Kerch Strait and the seizure of its vessels, after which President Petro Poroshenko says he will ask the Verkhovna Rada to support a declaration of martial law in Ukraine. The parliament is set to have an emergency meeting at 4 p.m. local time on November 26.
- After Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday the meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin during the summit is still on, while flying to Argentina, President Trump tweets that, after conferring with his top National Security advisers, he decided to cancel the meeting, adding that it was not a good time since Russia has not returned the ships and sailors to Ukraine. Less than an hour earlier, Trump said that he would "probably" meet Putin and that he believed it was "a good time to have the meeting."
- Russia stops three Ukrainian Navy vessels from passing under the Kerch Strait Bridge by blocking it with a cargo ship. Russia claims they violated her territorial waters and ignored warnings. The navy vessels and their crews are seized after shots were fired. Russia says three Ukrainians were wounded. According to Ukraine, six of their sailors are wounded. Ukraine denies their ships did anything wrong.
- Ukrainian MP Nadiya Savchenko is arrested in Parliament over an alleged plot to attack Parliament and overthrow the government.
- Eleven anti-corruption protestors are detained in Kiev, Ukraine, where police attempted to enter a protestor camp near the parliament building.