The NASA robotic lander "InSight" is due to land on Mars to study the geology of the red planet.
In just over 24 hours, NASA's InSight lander will complete its seven-month journey to the Red Planet.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Image)
- NASA selects Jezero crater on Mars as the landing site for the Mars 2020 rover. The crater was once a large lake and may hold evidence of ancient life.
- NASA scientists are planning to capture a 500 ton near-Earth asteroid, relocate it and turn it into a space station for astronauts on their route to Mars after 2025.
- Michael D. Griffin, the current Administrator of NASA, announces the agency will concentrate more on the outer Solar System and less on Mars exploration, due to cuts to its 2009-2012 budget.
- Exploration of Mars: NASA announces that Mars rover "Opportunity" landed in an area where "liquid water once drenched the surface".
- Exploration of Mars: The first color images have been released from the Spirit rover on Mars. They are the highest resolution images ever taken on the surface of another planet. It has also been announced by NASA that they plan to name the rover's landing site on Mars "Columbia Memorial Station" in honor of the crew of STS-107.