A 6.3 magnitude earthquake strikes near Sarpol-e Zahab, Iran, and close to the Iraqi border. At least 115 people are injured; no fatalities have been reported.
The quake struck the same area where another tremor killed over 600 people last year.
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- U.S. Geological Survey
- A 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes near Halabja, Iraq, killing at least 145 people and injuring more than 850 with structural damage reported in both Iraq and Iran.
- At least 21 people have died, 180 have been injured and tens of thousands have been displaced by heavy rains that have affected Iraq.
- Seven people are killed and more than 30 are injured during a rally in Basra, Iraq after security forces opened fire.
- Iraq announces the executions of seven terror convicts in Dhi Qar, saying the men, all citizens of Iraq, were hanged yesterday.
- The Trump administration is considering sending captured ISIL fighters to a prison in Iraq, as well as sending "high-valued fighters", who participated in the murder of Americans and other Western hostages, to the Guantanamo Bay detention camp. Human rights groups and the Democratic Party are opposed to holding these people indefinitely without charges and say they should be tried in federal courts.