A plane carrying 23 people crashes into Lake Yirol, South Sudan. 19 are killed, and three are injured.
The plane carried a total of 22 people. Three children were onboard the flight.
- Business Insider (Image)
- Fifteen young children die of "severe sepsis-toxicity" from contaminated vaccine during South Sudan's measles vaccination campaign. In one instance, a syringe containing vaccine stored without refrigeration was used for all the children over four days.
- The number of people displaced globally totals 65.6 million after an addition of 10.3 million people displaced in 2016. Syria, Colombia, Afghanistan, Iraq and South Sudan are the countries in the top five.
- Stephen O'Brien, head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, reports that the world is experiencing its most severe humanitarian crisis since World War II, with over 20 million people suffering from severe lack of food security in Yemen, South Sudan, Somalia, and Northeast Nigeria.
- More than 4.9 million people in South Sudan are in need of aid due to a famine.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) and other United Nations agencies declare that there is a famine in parts of Unity State, South Sudan, with 100,000 facing starvation and another million on the brink of famine.