The death toll from the earthquake in Hokkaido, Japan rises to 35. Two more people are presumed dead after their heart and lung functions stopped, and three others remain missing.
Nine others remain unaccounted for in hard-hit town of Atsuma after an entire mountainside collapsed on their homes.
- Japan Times (Image)
- A magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes the island of Hokkaido in Japan, killing 16 people, injuring 120 more and leaving 26 missing.
- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake occurs off the coast of Japan causing a small tsunami that hits the coast of Aomori prefecture on the island of Hokkaido.
- A 6.6 magnitude earthquake hits near Ternate, Indonesia, followed by a 7.2 magnitude quake near Hokkaido, Japan.
- A North Korean missile flies over Hokkaido, Japan, triggering the J-Alert system, following a similar event on 29 August.
- North Korea fires a Hwasong-12 ballistic missile which flies 2,700 km, passing over Hokkaido, northern Japan, prompting the activation of the nationwide J-Alert warning system. This is first time since 2009 that a North Korean missile has passed over Japanese territory.