U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis made a surprise visit to Afghanistan Friday, in an attempt to rekindle peace talks with the Taliban.
- Upi (Image)
- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis makes a "surprise" visit to Afghanistan, to attempt to discuss peace talks with the Taliban.
- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis makes an unannounced visit to Afghanistan, to attempt to discuss peace talks with the Taliban.
- The United States Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates meets with the Defense Ministers of the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark as well as officials from Estonia and Romania to discuss progress in Afghanistan in expectation of a Taliban offensive. Two Canadian soldiers are killed when a roadside bomb explodes.
- A Taliban suicide bomber kills three Czech soldiers on a routine patrol in Charikar, Afghanistan. A U.S. soldier and two Afghan troops are also injured in the bombing.
- Russia and Tajikistan begin joint military exercises near the Afghan-Tajik border to deter potential Taliban attacks.
- The Taliban announce a three-day Eid ceasefire with the Afghan authorities, according to Pajhwok Afghan News. On Thursday, President Ashraf Ghani announced a ceasefire with the Taliban from June 12-19.
- UK citizen Khalid Ali is found guilty at the Old Bailey in London of plotting a terror attack after he was found with knives in the city, and of building and detonating bombs for the Taliban in Afghanistan. He was detained within metres of Parliament, and wished to murder MPs and police officers.