Mexican officials report the discovery of the remains of at least 166 people in a mass grave in Veracruz.
The gruesome discovery was made in Veracruz state which has suffered years of drug-related violence.
- BBC (Image)
- Fourteen people are killed in 36 hours in Cancun, Mexico, in the worst spate of violence in the city since 2004.
- An overnight prison riot kills seven police officers in Amatlan de los Reyes, Veracruz, Mexico.
- Mexican federal police and migration agents find 136 migrants in a locked truck abandoned near a freeway in Veracruz. Without water or food, the people from the countries of Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua, including dozens of minors, were "en route" to the United States.
- Hurricane Franklin, the Atlantic Ocean's first hurricane of the season, is set to hit Mexico's Gulf state of Veracruz tonight or tomorrow morning. The category 1 storm is expected to lose strength as it moves inland through the oil-producing state.
- An unknown gunman shoots and kills veteran journalist Javier Valdez Crdenas, who is noted for his investigative reporting on Mexico's war on drugs, in Culiacn, Sinaloa.