A heat wave in Genoa, Italy, kills seven people.
- A heat wave in El Granado, Spain killed three people.
- A heat wave in Genoa, Italy killed seven people.
- A heat wave in Spain kills six people.
- A heat wave in Spain kills seven people.
- A heat wave in Spain kills nine people.
- A heat wave in Genoa, Italy, kills seven people.
- The Italian cargo ship "Jolly Nero" crashes into the port of Genoa, destroying the traffic control tower. Seven people die, four are injured and at least two are missing.
- One German and one Italian man are killed and at least 6 are injured near Marseille in a collision between a 26-foot wave and the Greek-Cypriot cruise ship "Louise Majesty" which was travelling with 2,000 passengers from Barcelona to Genoa.
- An Italian court convicts 16 and acquits 13 police officers of beating protesters at the 2001 G8 summit in Genoa.
- In Italy, cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Roman Catholic archbishop of Genoa, speaks against what he describes as "lies" in the popular book "The Da Vinci Code"; the book effectively claims that, among other things, the church suppresses information about Jesus' marriage with Mary Magdalene
- Twelve migrant workers die and three others are injured when a truck collides with a van in Foggia, Italy.