Cyril Ramaphosa was full of praise for Joseph Kabila, the outgoing Democratic Republic of Congo head of state, for his "respect for the constitution".
- The South African (Image)
- A day after street violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo between protesters opposed to President Joseph Kabila and security forces left at least 44 dead, armed men in military uniforms burn down the headquarters of the main opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) in Kinshasa, DR Congo, killing at least two people.
- Moise Katumbi and Felix Tshisekedi, two major opposition figures in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, issue a joint statement; they discuss choosing a single candidate to run in the presidential election now scheduled for December 23.
- Prime Minister Bruno Tshibala says the election - delayed repeatedly since President Joseph Kabila's term expired in December 2016 - will occur this December.
- Congolese President Joseph Kabila signs a law that increases taxes on mining and government royalties on international mining companies working in DR Congo, including on the mining of cobalt, despite the opposition from foreign companies.
- In a public statement, the foreign ministry of Botswana urges Joseph Kabila, the President of DR Congo, to step down since his term expired in December 2016, and hold the long-delayed new election.