U.S. Representative Chris Collins (R-NY) announces that he is suspending his campaign for re-election in the 2018 midterms, intending to serve out the remainder of his term. Collins was arrested by the FBI on August 8 on charges relating to insider trading.
New York Republican Rep. Chris Collins suspended his reelection campaign on Saturday after he was indicted earlier this week on charges related to insider trading.
- CNN (Image)
- U.S. Representative Chris Collins (R-NY) is arrested on charges of securities and wire fraud, conspiracy and lying to investigators. He is accused of passing nonpublic information about Innate Immunotherapeutics, a biotech company, to his son, who traded on the information and passed it along to others. Collins was a director of the company and also a major investor.
- A special election for Ohio's 12th congressional district is held following the resignation of Republican Representative Pat Tiberi. The Republican candidate is Troy Balderson and the Democratic candidate is Danny O'Connor.
- The United States House of Representatives passes a bill to reauthorize, for a period of six years, a key foreign intelligence collection program, permitted by Section 702. Changes to the program will require the FBI to get a probable cause warrant if it wants to view the contents of Americans' communications swept up in the process.
- The Republican-controlled United States House of Representatives votes in favor of the repeal of the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and passage of the House's 2017 American Health Care Act, by a narrow, 217-213 vote. Twenty Republicans and all Democrats opposed the bill, which now heads to the United States Senate for its legislative action.
- Democratic candidates face off with Republican candidates in a primary for a U.S. House seat vacated by Tom Price, now Health and Human Services Secretary, in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia.