The death toll from heavy rains in Japan rose to 49.
- Heavy rain in Japan prompts the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of people. At least 38 people have died in landslides.
- Japan executes former Aum Shinrikyo leader Shoko Asahara and six other main members of Aum Shinrikyo, who led the 1995 Tokyo subway sarin attack, by hanging.
- Due to a change in Japanese legislation, Airbnb announces that it will be cancelling thousands of reservations made in the country.
- Japanese space probe "Hayabusa2" arrives at its target, 162173 Ryugu, an Apollo asteroid. It is planned to return material from the asteroid to Earth by the end of 2020.
- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes Osaka, Japan, at 7:58 a.m. local time (22:58 UTC, June 17). At least five people have been killed and several are transported to hospitals with injuries. Electrical services are disrupted citywide, affecting 170,000 buildings.