High electricity demand during a heat wave in Los Angeles leaves 34,500 residents without power, some for up to 24 hours.
Thousands of Los Angeles residents were left without power Saturday morning after a heat wave prompted high electricity demand throughout the city.
- CNN (Image)
- Police in California arrest Ramon Escobar, 47, on charges of killing and assaulting homeless people, and are investigating whether he may have attacked a fisherman napping beneath a pier, in the cities of Los Angeles and Santa Monica, California. Authorities believe Escobar may be a serial killer, who is now a person of interest in the disappearance of his aunt and uncle in Houston, Texas.
- A gunman is arrested for one count of murder after killing a woman then taking dozens of people hostage at a Trader Joe's in Los Angeles, California.
- The heat-related death toll in the Canadian province of Quebec rises to 70, with 34 of those occurring in Montreal.
- A 13-year-old boy is rescued after falling into a sewer and becoming trapped for 12 hours in Los Angeles.
- In Los Angeles, SpaceX announced that they will build a massive rocket named BFR capable of sending humans to Mars.