Alexander Lubigan, Vice Mayor of Trece Martires, Philippines, is assassinated in an ambush.
- The Philippine Daily Inquirer
- Alexander Lubigan, Vice Mayor of Trece Martires, Cavite, Philippines, assassinated.
- Alexander Lubigan, Vice Mayor of Trece Martires, Philippines, is assassinated in an ambush.
- A new set of kidnappings and a jail break plague Sulu province in the southern region of Mindanao in the Philippines.
- The Philippines marks the 5th anniversary of the Maguindanao massacre.
- Philippine soldiers clash with militants from the ISIL-affiliated Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF), in the southern province of Maguindanao. The fighting began when BIFF militants attempted to occupy a town center, and lasted for 12 hours until the BIFF militants withdrew to the hills. Four militants were killed, while two militants, a Philippine soldier and a local militiaman were wounded.
- Antonio Halili, the mayor of Tanauan, Philippines, is shot dead by a sniper during a flag raising ceremony outside the city hall. Halili was known for parading people arrested on drug offenses through the city's streets.
- A Filipino container ship runs aground on a coral reef near Raroia, Tuamotus, French Polynesia. France sends an aircraft to survey the scene in response to a request for help by Raroia's mayor.