Apex court announces 10 years sentence and 8 million pounds fine to the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif and 7 years sentence and 2 million pounds fine to his political heir and daughter Maryam Nawaz and one year imprisonment for Muhammad Safdar Awan in Avenfield corruption reference.
Capt Safdar given 1-year sentence in Avenfield corruption reference; Nawaz, Maryam to pay £8m, £2m respectively.
- DAWN (Image)
- Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif, wife of ousted former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, defeats the opposition party's Yasmin Rashid in the by-election for Nawaz Sharif's National Assembly seat. Kulsoom, represented by her daughter and proxy Maryam, is being treated in London for cancer.
- Former Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif goes home after his disqualification by the Supreme Court in the Panama Papers case.
- The Prime Minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif resigns after the Supreme Court disqualifies him from holding public office following a verdict that he had been dishonest in not disclosing his employment in the Dubai-based Capital FZE company in his nomination papers.
- Pakistan's opposition interrupts Parliament's scheduled session demanding Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif resign during the investigation of his finances, per Thursday's Supreme Court ruling.
- Over 1,500 supporters of opposition party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf are arrested ahead of a planned protest in the capital Islamabad against Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.