Ali Hassan al-Majid
Ali Hassan al-Majid, better known as "Chemical Ali," is sentenced to death for his role in killing 180,000 Kurds under Saddam Hussein.
Relatives of the victims of the man known as Chemical Ali are calling for him to be executed at one of the villages where he committed his crimes.
- BBC via ABC News Australia
- The Presidency Council of Iraq approves the execution of Saddam Hussein's cousin Ali Hassan al-Majid, widely known as "Chemical Ali", for his role in the Al-Anfal Campaign against Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s.
- Fifteen former associates of Saddam Hussein, including his cousin Ali Hassan al-Majid, face a trial in the Supreme Iraqi Criminal Tribunal for their alleged role in suppressing a Shiite uprising in 1991.
- Iraq's High Tribunal sentences former Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan to death for his role in the 1982 killing of 148 men and boys in Dujail following an unsuccessful assassination attempt against Saddam Hussein.
- The trial of Saddam Hussein for alleged genocide of Kurds during the Anfal campaign resumes today.
- Tony Blair opposes the death penalty for Saddam Hussein but says the trial had reminded the world of Hussein's brutality.