Politics of Spain
Artur Mas announces that he is resigning as president of the PDeCAT party.
The former president of the Generalitat says that it is a meditated decision
- Turkey Telegraph
- Artur Mas announces that he leaves the presidency of the PDeCAT party.
- Artur Mas announces that he is resigning as president of the PDeCAT party.
- The Parliament of Catalonia opens the new legislature. Roger Torrent (ERC) is named Speaker. Three parliamentarians in jail vote through proxies, the five parlementarians in exile in Belgium do not. Carles Puigdemont (PDeCAT, JuntsxCat), through his spokesman, considers it "perfectly plausible" for him to be president remotely. Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy says that he will not restore Catalonia's autonomous powers if the regional parliament permits Puigdemont to lead the government from exile.
- The Speaker of the Parliament of Catalonia, Roger Torrent, announces the investiture session of Jordi Sanchez i Picanyol for Friday, April 13. Sanchez, who has been imprisoned since October 2017 accused of sedition, was nominated again for President de la Generalitat on April 7.
- Carles Puigdemont is released on bail, following the German judge's decision that he cannot be extradited for rebellion. However, proceedings for misuse of public funds are being considered against Puigdemont.
- Former major of the Mossos d'Esquadra Josep Lluis Trapero is charged with two counts of sedition and and one of criminal organisation.
- German prosecutor requests permission to extradite Carles Puigdemont to Spain. Puigdemont is in preventive detention in Germany since his March 25 arrest under a European Arrest Warrant on the grounds of risk of absconcion.