All residents are evacuated, 500 of them to the nearby island of Blup Blup, while the once-dormant Kadovar volcano in the Schouten Islands, Papua New Guinea, erupts for the first known time, sending an ash cloud 2.1 km above sea level.
THE entire population of an island has been evacuated as concerns mount over a volcanic eruption that sprang out of nowhere.
- Carbonated TV (Image)
- News.com.au (Image)
- A "significant explosive event" occurs at the Mount Redoubt volcano in Alaska.
- The Llaima volcano in Chile begins emitting lava and ash, prompting evacuations and landslide warnings.
- The government of Papua New Guinea declares a state of emergency and suspends the government of Southern Highlands Province following post-election riots in the provincial capital of Mendi.
- Papua New Guinea bans Facebook for a month "in order to research the social network's effects on the population and to crack down on fake accounts."
- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake strikes off the coast of New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea, at a depth of 35 km. There are no reports of immediate damage. [https:--www.bbc.com-news-world-asia-43592321 (BBC)