The former Prime Minister of Egypt, 76-year-old Ahmed Shafik, retracts his candidacy for the upcoming presidential elections.
- Reuters (Image)
- Minutes before the registration deadline, a second candidate, Moussa Mostafa Moussa, fulfills paperwork to participate in the 2018 presidential election. Leading opposition members called for a boycott, saying that a wave of repression has cleared the field of challengers to President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
- The nephew of assassinated Egyptian president Mohamed Anwar al-Sadat announces that he will not run in March's presidential election, blaming an environment of fear surrounding the vote.
- Voters in Egypt go to the polls for a second day to vote in the second round of a presidential election, with former prime minister Ahmed Shafik and Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party both competing for the presidency.
- Ahmed Shafik, the Prime Minister of Egypt, announces that the Government will release more than 200 political prisoners.
- Security sources say that prominent opposition leader Hazem Abdel-Azim has been detained.