The former Prime Minister of Egypt, 76-year-old Ahmed Shafik, retracts his candidacy for the upcoming presidential elections.
- Voters in Egypt go to the polls for a second day to vote in the second round of a presidential election, with former prime minister Ahmed Shafik and Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party both competing for the presidency.
- Ahmed Shafik, the Prime Minister of Egypt, announces that the Government will release more than 200 political prisoners.
- The Parliament of Egypt approves, with a two-thirds majority in favour, extending the nationwide state of emergency for a further three months, starting January 13.
- Egypt's new Cabinet is sworn in before President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, a week after the previous administration resigned following a corruption scandal, and a month before parliamentary elections. The 33-member body has 16 new ministers, including two women. Sherif Ismail, petroleum minister in the last cabinet, is the new prime minister.
- Former Prime Minister of Egypt Ahmed Nazif and former Interior Minister Habib el-Adly are cleared of graft charges in a retrial.