A Shosholoza train collides with a vehicle at a crossing near Kroonstad in the Free State, South Africa killing 4 and injuring at least 100 people.
At least four people are killed and 40 wounded in the crash and fire, rescue workers say.
- BBC News
- The Independent
- A Shosholoza Meyl passenger train collides head-on with a goods train in Eastern Cape, South Africa, killing two people and injuring 20.
- Two people die and 17 others are injured in a stampede at the First National Bank Stadium in Soweto, near Johannesburg, South Africa, during a soccer match between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs.
- Up to 10,000 people have been evacuated from Knysna Local Municipality on Garden Route in South Africa after wildfire destroyed 150 homes. The Wildfire is connected to the worst windstorm in 30 years, which already killed at least 8 people in Cape Town. [http:--www.bbc.com-news-world-africa-40199270 (BBC)], [https:--www.enca.com-south-africa-knysna-toddler-dies-on-birthday (ENCA)], [https:--www.rte.ie-news-world-2017-0608-881071-south_africa- (RTE)], [http:--www.aljazeera.com-news-2017-06-storm-kills-displaces-thousands-cape-town-170608052748704.html (Al Jazeera)], [https:--www.nytimes.com-2017-06-07-world-africa-south-africa-cape-town-storm-fires.html "(The New York Times)"]
- The giant South Africa based cement company, PPC Ltd., presents its first quarter results, dominated by the "impact of a liquidity crisis precipitated by an unexpected S&P debt downgrade."
- At least 20 schoolchildren are killed after their minibus collides with a truck in Mpumalanga, South Africa.