A drawing is held to resolve a tied election between Shelly Simonds (D) and David Yancey (R), and Yancey is randomly chosen as the winner.
- ABC News
- Two new Democratic senators—Doug Jones of Alabama and Tina Smith of Minnesota—are sworn in, bringing the Republican majority down to 51–49.
- Voters in Alabama go to the polls to fill the United States Senate seat vacated by current United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The race is between Roy Moore (R) and Doug Jones (D).
- West Virginia Governor Jim Justice announces, during U.S. President Donald Trump's rally in Huntington, he is changing his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican.
- Negotiators from the Democratic and Republican parties agree on new sanctions against Russia, Iran, and North Korea. Both chambers of the United States Congress are scheduled to vote on passage on Tuesday.
- United States senators Ben Cardin (D-MD) and Marco Rubio (R-FL) file a bill restricting arms sales to the Philippine National Police over its drug war.