Joshua Boyle, a Canadian man recently rescued from a Taliban linked group, is arrested on 15 charges, including assault, sexual assault, and unlawful confinement.
Former hostage Joshua Boyle is currently being held in custody in Ottawa in connection with 15 criminal charges filed earlier this week.
- Global News
- Pakistani troops rescue Joshua Boyle and Caitlan Coleman, who have been held captive since 2012, and their three children from the Taliban.
- Afghan and Canadian forces begin an offensive against the Taliban in the Arghandab District of Kandahar.
- The United States Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates meets with the Defense Ministers of the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark as well as officials from Estonia and Romania to discuss progress in Afghanistan in expectation of a Taliban offensive. Two Canadian soldiers are killed when a roadside bomb explodes.
- The United States will end the temporary protected status program (TPS) for more than 300,000 refugees from El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Many of the refugees have already left for Canada, where it is easier to get asylum.
- At least 43 Afghan soldiers are killed in a Taliban attack on an army base in Kandahar Province. Around 10 Taliban fighters also died in the attack.