Joshua Boyle, a Canadian man recently rescued from a Taliban linked group, is arrested on 15 charges, including assault, sexual assault, and unlawful confinement.
Former hostage Joshua Boyle is currently being held in custody in Ottawa in connection with 15 criminal charges filed earlier this week.
- Global News
- Pakistani troops rescue Joshua Boyle and Caitlan Coleman, who have been held captive since 2012, and their three children from the Taliban.
- Afghan and Canadian forces begin an offensive against the Taliban in the Arghandab District of Kandahar.
- The United States Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates meets with the Defense Ministers of the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the Netherlands and Denmark as well as officials from Estonia and Romania to discuss progress in Afghanistan in expectation of a Taliban offensive. Two Canadian soldiers are killed when a roadside bomb explodes.
- Citing national security reasons, U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs of 25% on steel and 10% on aluminum imported from most countries. Canada and Mexico are provisionally exempt pending NAFTA renegotiations. The tariffs will take effect on March 23.
- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani offers to recognize the Taliban as a legitimate political formation as part of a proposed process aimed at ending more than 16 years of war.