Its empty homes and ageing residents mirror the wider fate of east German hinterlands.
- AFP via Daily Nation (Image)
- The 16-hectare hamlet of Alwine in Uebigau-Wahrenbruck, Germany, is sold for 140.000 EUR.
- The 1.6-hectare populated hamlet of Alwine in Uebigau-Wahrenbruck district, Germany, is sold for 140,000 EUR at a public auction.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi were issued to Saudi Arabia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and France.
- Voters in the German state of Hesse go to the polls to elect a new legislature. The election is widely considered a test for Angela Merkel's ruling CDU-SPD coalition.
- Authorities arrest eight men after a gang rape in Freiburg, Germany on 14 October, with police seeking more men.
- German media uncover a large ISIL terrorism plot which had been foiled in 2016.
- Mounir el-Motassadeq, sentenced to 15 years in prison as a member of the Hamburg cell of the September 11 attackers, was deported from Hamburg, Germany to Morocco.