The Japanese Minister of Defense says his country is to procures cruise missiles able to reach North Korea.
Japan is to acquire medium-range, air-launched cruise missiles, capable of striking North Korea, according to Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera.
- Japan places its military on alert over a possible North Korean ballistic-missile launch after detecting "increased activity" at a North Korean missile site. Japan's Minister of Defense, Gen Nakatani, has ordered Kongo-class destroyers stationed in the Sea of Japan, equipped with Aegis combat systems, to target any North Korean projectiles heading for Japan.
- Naoki Tanaka, Japan's Minister of Defense, issues orders to shoot down a North Korean rocket if it falls towards Japanese territory.
- Japan says it is considering whether a pre-emptive strike against North Korea's missile bases would be a violation of its constitution. This is ahead of a possible UN vote on sanctions against North Korea.
- U.S. President Donald Trump visits South Korea amidst a crisis with North Korea.
- A North Korean defector claims children are being born with deformities near North Korea's nuclear testing site.