African Union troops enter the Somali port town of Kismayo following the withdrawal of Al-Shabaab Islamist militants during the Battle of Kismayo.
Somali government and African Union troops enter the port city of Kismayo, a former stronghold of the al-Shabab militant Islamist group.
- BBC (Image)
- In Somalia, more than fifty Al-Shabaab fighters are killed as African Union Kenyan peacekeepers, and the Somali National Army, continue their march towards the port city of Kismayo.
- Somali Islamist militant group al-Shabaab threaten more attacks in Burundi and Uganda in retaliation for their participation in an African Union peacekeeping operation in the country. Meanwhile, seven people are killed in fighting in the capital Mogadishu.
- At least 12 people are killed in fighting in Mogadishu, Somalia, between pro-government forces, African Union troops and the Islamist militant al-Shabaab group.
- The African Union calls on the United Nations Security Council to impose an air and naval blockade of Somalia to counter an Islamist Al-Shabaab militant insurgency and piracy.
- In a raid by Somali forces near Kismayo, at least 16 Al-Shabaab militants are killed, including the mastermind of the Garissa University College attack.