Nick Clegg says people should not "write off" the Lib Dems despite the party slumping to sixth place in the Barnsley Central by-election.
- BBC (Image)
- Results of the elections show gains for Labour and UKIP and losses for the Liberal Democrats and the Conservative Party.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May proposes that a snap election for the House of Commons will be held on the 8th of June. A two-thirds majority of the House of Commons is needed to approve this, eventually tomorrow. The Labour and Liberal Democrats party leaders have expressed their support.
- The BBC is told that the UK's three main political parties, the Conservatives, Labour and the Liberal Democrats, will declare that whoever forms the government after the next general election will not agree to a currency union with an independent Scotland.
- The Labour Party wins the three by-elections held in the United Kingdom on Thursday. Steve Reed is elected in Croydon North, Andy McDonald in Middlesbrough and Sarah Champion in Rotherham. The UK Independence Party achieve second place in Middlesbrough and Rotherham, beating the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats.
- The counting of votes in UK local elections continues with the Labour Party making gains and the Liberal Democrats losing seats.