- AFP via ''The Australian
- The United Kingdom opens all combat roles in the British Armed Forces, including special forces, to women for the first time.
- The first of seventy British military personnel arrive in Somalia to help combat the threat of Islamist militants. The remaining troops will join the United Nations peacekeepers and AMISOM soldiers in countering Al-Shabaab later on this year. This deployment is part of a greater effort by the United Kingdom to target terrorism.
- UK Secretary of State for Defence Philip Hammond announces the closure of four Army bases as part of a shake-up to accommodate the return of thousands of British troops stationed in Germany.
- Her Majesty's Government will allow retired Gurkhas who served in the Armed Forces to settle in the United Kingdom.
- Section 76 of the United Kingdom's Counter-Terrorism Act 2008—a law that criminalizes publishing information about the Armed Forces, the Security Service, the Secret Intelligence Service, or Government Communications Headquarters—is effected.