South Korea's defence minister-designate Kim Kwan-jin threatens North Korea with air strikes if the shelling of Yeonpyeong is repeated. The shelling was in response to South Korean naval exercises.
- The Yonhap news agency reports that sources have advised them that North Korea is plotting to assassinate Kim Kwan-jin, currently South Korea's defence minister.
- Kim Kwan-jin becomes the new Minister for Defense in South Korea, replacing Kim Tae-Young who resigned following the shelling of Yeonpyeong.
- South Korea states that North Korea is willing to hold talks with the United States on denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea states that they want high-level talks with North Korea before the summit.
- North Korea accepts South Korea's proposal for official talks, and will meet on January 9 to discuss North Korea's possible involvement with the 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea. These are the first high-level talks between the Koreas in more than two years.