About 8,000 African Union troops from Burundi and Uganda are deployed to the Somali capital Mogadishu, the scene of heavy fighting this week.
- Somali Islamist militant group al-Shabaab threaten more attacks in Burundi and Uganda in retaliation for their participation in an African Union peacekeeping operation in the country. Meanwhile, seven people are killed in fighting in the capital Mogadishu.
- An Al-Shabaab suicide attack kills at least 11 and injures 15 more Burundian peacekeepers on an African Union military base in Mogadishu, Somalia.
- A soldier from Burundi is killed in an explosion in northern Mogadishu, Somalia.
- Somali and African Union forces make gains against al-Shabaab rebels in Mogadishu.
- Somali government forces and African Union troops expel al Qaeda-linked militants from their last outpost in the western part of Mogadishu, opening up a main road in the city.