- BBC News
- Opposition demonstrations in Antananarivo, Madagascar, turn violent. Prime Minister Olivier Mahafaly Solonandrasana says one died and seventeen were injured but opposition Parliamentarian Hanitra Razafimanantsoa, who supports ex-President Marc Ravalomanana, says two were shot dead and two babies at a nearby hospital killed by tear gas.
- At least 29 people are dead and 22 are missing in the aftermath of a strong tropical cyclone striking Madagascar.
- Since August 1, another round of pneumonic, bubonic, and septicemic plague spreads in Madagascar, killing at least 45 people.
- The death toll from an outbreak of plague in Madagascar nears 100. So far, there have been 911 cases recorded.
- Cyclone Enawo makes landfall in Madagascar as a powerful Category 4 storm, making it the most powerful storm to strike the African nation in 13 years.