One person is killed in clashes between demonstrating garment workers demanding higher pay, and police in Bangladesh.
At least three people are dead and dozens more injured in Bangladesh after protesting garment workers clashed with police.
- BD News 24
- Bangladeshi home minister Asaduzzaman Khan meets with his Burmese counterpart, Kyaw Swe, in Dhaka to discuss the repatriation of Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh to Myanmar. The Burmese delegation accepts a list of 8,032 Rohingya refugees (1,673 families) who are to be repatriated.
- Win Myat Aye, Myanmar's minister of social welfare, relief and resettlement, announced that his country would begin repatriating Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh beginning on January 23, 2018. Burmese officials also promised that a newly built camp for repatriated refugees would also be finished by that date.
- Pope Francis ends his six-day trip to Myanmar and Bangladesh by visiting the Rohingya refugees in Dhaka.
- Pope Francis arrives in Yangon to begin a six-day trip to Myanmar and Bangladesh, where he is expected to meet with the Rohingya people.
- Bangladesh's Foreign Minister A. H. Mahmood Ali and Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi agree to return Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh to Myanmar in a two-month period.