U.S. envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke is hospitalised in a critically ill state in Washington, D.C., after gasping at a meeting with Hillary Clinton.
Richard Holbrooke, the US envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, has been taken critically ill with a torn aorta, the US state department says.
- BBC (Image)
- The Hindu
- Retired CIA officer-turned-political activist Ray McGovern is thrown out, bloodied and arrested while protesting a speech given by Hillary Clinton on internet freedomdate=August 2017 at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Veterans for Peace requests that Clinton apologise.
- Amtrak modifies services and cancels train services south of Washington, D.C. ahead of Hurricane Florence. FlightAware reported that 180 flights have been cancelled. Charleston International Airport in South Carolina is expected to close by midnight.
- "The Wall Street Journal" reports that National Security Advisor John R. Bolton is expected to announce today the closure of the Palestine Liberation Organization office in Washington.
- Around twenty white nationalists hold a protest march in Washington, D.C. on the first anniversary of the Unite the Right rally, with thousands of counter-protesters.
- The U.S. Department of Justice publishes a 568-page report by Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz on the FBI's handling of its investigation of Hillary Clinton's email practices. The report is critical of former FBI Director James Comey, accusing him of being "insubordinate", but finding that his actions were not politically biased.