U.S. attorney-general Eric Holder tells a Muslim community group near San Francisco that FBI sting operations are "an essential law enforcement tool".
- Al Jazeera
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrests suspected members of the computer hacking groups LulzSec and Anonymous in the US cities of Phoenix, Arizona and San Francisco.
- Attorney Alex van der Zwaan pleads guilty in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., to making false statements to the FBI during the special counsel investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. Specifically, the charges are that he lied to investigators about his interactions with political consultant and lobbyist Rick Gates and an unidentified Ukrainian-based associate of Paul Manafort.
- U.S. President Donald Trump authorizes Congress to release the Nunes memo, against the wishes of the FBI, Department of Justice, and lawmakers from both sides, all of whom say that the document's release poses a risk to national security.
- United Airlines Flight 1175 traveling to Honolulu from San Francisco lands safely at Honolulu International Airport, Hawaii, after the pilots call for an emergency landing because of a loss of the engine cowling.
- The United States House of Representatives passes a bill to reauthorize, for a period of six years, a key foreign intelligence collection program, permitted by Section 702. Changes to the program will require the FBI to get a probable cause warrant if it wants to view the contents of Americans' communications swept up in the process.