U.S. attorney-general Eric Holder tells a Muslim community group near San Francisco that FBI sting operations are "an essential law enforcement tool".
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation arrests suspected members of the computer hacking groups LulzSec and Anonymous in the US cities of Phoenix, Arizona and San Francisco.
- The Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a major California utility based in San Francisco, announces they temporarily turned off power to 60,000 customers in 12 Northern California counties due to threats of wildfires. Red flag warnings are issued to 22 million people in the state.
- The Justice Department unseals charges made in June against an alleged hacker for the North Korean government in connection with a series of cyber attacks, including the 2014 assaults on Sony Pictures. The Federal Bureau of Investigation accuses Park Jin Hyok of conspiring the hack on behalf of Reconnaissance General Bureau, the country's intelligence agency, and conspiring to commit wire fraud.
- The FBI reaches out to Deborah Ramirez, the second woman to publicly accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, as part of the investigations into allegations against Kavanaugh.
- U.S. President Donald Trump orders an FBI investigation into the sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh.