The ruling Sudan People's Liberation Army-Movement in Southern Sudan formally confirms that it will support secession from Sudan in a January 2011 independence referendum.
- The United Nations says thousands of people are arriving in Southern Sudan from north Sudan ahead of the independence referendum on Sunday.
- Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir goes to Juba to meet with Southern Sudanese President of the Government Salva Kiir Mayardit ahead of Southern Sudan's independence referendum.
- Southern Sudan chooses to become independent of Sudan with over 99% voting yes in the referendum.
- The Sudan People's Liberation Army-Movement estimates that turnout in the Southern Sudanese independence referendum has passed the 60% threshold for the result to be declared valid.
- The Constitutional Court in Sudan agrees to hear a petition by lawyers for the dissolution of the body organising the referendum on Southern Sudan's independence.