Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, the leader of the La Familia Michoacana drug cartel, is killed in a shootout with police in Michoacan, Mexico.
Suspected drug lord Nazario Moreno was gunned down late on Thursday by security forces amid an ongoing crackdown in western Mexico, Mexican national security spokesman Alejandro Poire said on Friday.
- Mexican authorities confirm that Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, the top leader of the Knights Templar Cartel, was killed in the state of Michoacan.
- At least 14 people are killed in a series of clashes between alleged drug traffickers and police in the Mexican state of Michoacan. The government states that a high-profile drug lord was killed in the battle.
- The bodies of seven men, all shot in the head as if executed, are found dumped in plastic chairs placed along the side of a street in Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
- A Mexican military Bell 412 model helicopter crashes northeast of the town of El Salto in the mountainous state of Durango, seriously injuring one military member aboard and likely killing seven others.
- A riot at Cadereyta Jimenez prison located outside the city of Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, kills at least 13 people.