Nazario Moreno Gonzalez
Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, the leader of the La Familia Michoacana drug cartel, is killed in a shootout with police in Michoacan, Mexico.
Suspected drug lord Nazario Moreno was gunned down late on Thursday by security forces amid an ongoing crackdown in western Mexico, Mexican national security spokesman Alejandro Poire said on Friday.
- Mexican authorities confirm that Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, the top leader of the Knights Templar Cartel, was killed in the state of Michoacan.
- At least 14 people are killed in a series of clashes between alleged drug traffickers and police in the Mexican state of Michoacan. The government states that a high-profile drug lord was killed in the battle.
- The bodies of seven men, all shot in the head as if executed, are found dumped in plastic chairs placed along the side of a street in Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
- Citing national security reasons, U.S. President Donald Trump imposes tariffs of 25% on steel and 10% on aluminum imported from most countries. Canada and Mexico are provisionally exempt pending NAFTA renegotiations. The tariffs will take effect on March 23.
- A 5.8 magnitude earthquake strikes off the coast of the Mexican state of Jalisco, prompting evacuations in the tourist resort of Puerto Vallarta and is felt in the country's second-largest metropolitan area of Guadalajara. No casualties are reported.