Suspected drug lord Nazario Moreno was gunned down late on Thursday by security forces amid an ongoing crackdown in western Mexico, Mexican national security spokesman Alejandro Poire said on Friday.
- Reuters (Image)
- Mexican authorities confirm that Nazario Moreno Gonzalez, the top leader of the Knights Templar Cartel, was killed in the state of Michoacan.
- At least 14 people are killed in a series of clashes between alleged drug traffickers and police in the Mexican state of Michoacan. The government states that a high-profile drug lord was killed in the battle.
- The bodies of seven men, all shot in the head as if executed, are found dumped in plastic chairs placed along the side of a street in Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
- Two explosions at fireworks workshops in Tultepec, Mexico, kill at least 19 people, including rescue workers, and injure dozens more. Tultepec is home to a major fireworks industry.
- Voters in Mexico elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador as their new President in a landslide victory. Additionally, 128 senators and 500 deputies were also chosen.