Somali pirates hijack a Liberian ship 80 nautical miles east of the border between Tanzania and Mozambique, in their most southerly attack yet.
- A Liberian owned cargo vessel with 24 Filipino crew is seized by Somali pirates 550 nautical miles from the coast of India.
- Somali pirates attack and seize a Liberian tanker with 24 crew on board in the Indian Ocean.
- Somali pirates seize a Panamanian-flagged ship with 15 Indian crewmen on board, off the coast of Tanzania.
- The Royal Netherlands Navy seizes 13 Somali pirates and frees two Tanzanians from a vessel that attacked a German ship off the southern cost of Oman.
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees and World Food Programme appeal for more funds to provide food for two million refugees in Africa, in countries such as Tanzania, Central African Republic, Liberia and Kenya.