Japanese police arrest a leading mob figure, Tadashi Irie, third-in-command of the Yamaguchi-gumi.
- Iccho Ito, the mayor of Nagasaki, Japan, is shot at least twice outside his re-election campaign headquarters. The assassin, Tetsuya Shiroo, is alleged to be a senior member of a local gang affiliated to the Yamaguchi-gumi crime syndicate.
- The death toll from the earthquake in Hokkaido, Japan, rises to 39. More people remain missing.
- A magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes the island of Hokkaido in Japan, killing 16 people, injuring 120 more and leaving 26 missing.
- Typhoon Jebi kills at least 11 people in Japan, while more than 300 are injured. It is considered the strongest typhoon in the country in 25 years.
- Four people are dead and at least 120 others are injured when Typhoon Trami makes landfall in the cities of Osaka and Okinawa, Japan.