Japanese police arrest a leading mob figure, Tadashi Irie, third-in-command of the Yamaguchi-gumi.
- Iccho Ito, the mayor of Nagasaki, Japan, is shot at least twice outside his re-election campaign headquarters. The assassin, Tetsuya Shiroo, is alleged to be a senior member of a local gang affiliated to the Yamaguchi-gumi crime syndicate.
- Two connected stabbings occurred in Vienna, Austria: three people were seriously injured outside a Japanese restaurant, and one man in a later stabbing. The perpetrator was arrested.
- Anonymous Japanese government sources say that Japan is considering a summit meeting between Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un.
- A court in Thailand awards a Japanese man paternity rights over 13 of his children from Thai surrogate mothers.
- Eleven people are killed in a fire at a Japanese residential facility for people in financial difficulty.