At the 2010 United Nations Climate Change Conference, Google unveils an initiative using Google Earth allowing users to view the effects of deforestation, impacts and videos on global warming and climate change.
- The Huffington Post
- Voice of America
- Scientists warn that a massive release of methane resulting from Arctic sea ice decline could cause significant global disruption, potentially costing the world economy an extra US$ 60 trillion to $400 trillion from the effects of global warming and climate change. The full impact of climate change in the Arctic, including, for example, ocean acidification, and altered ocean and atmospheric circulation, will be much greater.
- Delegates at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Cancun, Mexico, agree to a compromise on slowing climate change, though overall failing to reach a "deal that many activists and governments want."
- A study conducted by Stanford University suggests that heat waves will become more common in the future, due to climate change and global warming. [http:--www.msnbc.msn.com-id-38154121-ns-us_news-environment- (MSNBC)] See Climate change mitigation scenarios.
- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appoints Christiana Figueres of Costa Rica to lead United Nations efforts to combat climate change and global warming.
- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Danish hosts urge countries on to compromise to salvage agreement on a new U.N. pact aimed at averting dangerous climate change and global warming. P:GW