A riot in the Pedrinhas prison in north-eastern Brazil results in eighteen prisoner deaths and a guard being wounded.
Eighteen inmates were killed and a prison guard shot and wounded during a prison riot in north-eastern Brazil that ended on Tuesday, officials said.
- AFP via ABC News Australia
- In the town of Janauba, Minas Gerais state, Brazil, a recently dismissed security guard set fire to a childcare center, killing at least four children and a teacher and leaving 25 others, mostly children aged four and five, injured.
- Brazilian police detain fugitive Italian former left-wing guerrilla and convicted murderer Cesare Battisti, as he was attempting to flee across the border into Bolivia to avoid extradition back to Italy and facing his life sentence prison term for four murders in the 1970s.
- Brazilian prosecutor Rodrigo Janot files charges in the Supreme Court against officials in President Michel Temer's Brazilian Democratic Movement Party accusing them of forming a criminal organization. Earlier the Court said, next week, it will consider Temer's request to block Janot from issuing further charges.
- Brazil is to investigate the supposed murder of ten members of an Amazonian tribe in the Javari Valley.
- Brazilian President Michel Temer abolishes the 46,000 sq km National Reserve of Copper and Associates (Renca) ecological reserve, which spans the borders of Amapa and Para states in northern Brazil. More than 20 domestic and multinational firms have expressed an interest in accessing the area's deposits of gold, copper, tantalum, iron ore, nickel and manganese.