A bomb explosion kills Ali Abadi, governor of Shwak district in Afghanistan's eastern province of Paktia.
- Press TV
- United States troops get into a brief gun battle with paramilitary forces of the Warzirstan Scouts of Pakistan, in a remote tribal area along the undefined Afghan-Pakistani border, in Paktia Province, Afghanistan. One US soldier is wounded by gunfire, and several Pakistani soldiers are killed when US air support arrives. The border in this region is poorly demarcated.. Three missiles from US helicopter gunships strike a madrassa owned by former Taliban official Maulana Muhammad Hassan, according to the ANI news agency.
- A suicide car bomber kills one person and injures fourteen others near the Australian embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- A series of militant attacks in Afghanistan kill more than 20 people.
- A ferry explosion at the Playa del Carmen's pier in Mexico injures 18 people. None of the injuries appear to be life-threatening.
- The United Nations report that in 2017, more than 10,000 Afghan civilians were killed or wounded in the war.