Fighting erupts between ethnic rebel groups and Burmese government forces in the east of the country; thousands of people flee into Thailand.
Thousands flee across the Burmese border to escape clashes between troops and ethnic Karen rebels, a day after the first election in 20 years.
- Al Jazeera
- BBC (Image)
- Bangkok Post
- 2013 Thailand refugee camp fire: At least 30 people are killed and 200 are injured after a fire destroys a camp containing Burmese refugees near Ban Mae, Thailand.
- Two large earthquakes are recorded in northeastern Burma near the borders with Laos and Thailand, killing at least two people.
- About 20,000 people flee Burma to escape fighting between the Burmese military and the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army in Karen State after the recent general election.
- The Burmese embassy in Bangkok, Thailand, grants Aung San Suu Kyi's younger son Kim Aris a visa to see her.
- Burmese authorities arrest 50 people – including journalists, students and political activists, in a security crackdown, according to a Thailand based human rights group.