Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard announces a referendum to decide whether indigenous Australians should be recognised in the Constitution.
- AFP via Yahoo! News Australia
- The Prime Minister of Australia John Howard proposes a constitutional referendum recognising indigenous Australians in the Australian constitution, if he is reelected.
- Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd wins leadership of the Australian Labor Party against incumbent Julia Gillard.
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, on a trip to Shanghai, China, announces that the Australian dollar is set to trade directly with the Chinese yuan, becoming the third currency to do so.
- Australia opens a national probe into child sex abuse, with Prime Minister Julia Gillard warning of "uncomfortable truths" as institutions including schools and churches come under scrutiny.
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard announces that the late Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg has been made an honorary Australian citizen.