Prominent Russian journalist Oleg Kashin for the "Kommersant" newspaper is attacked outside his home in Moscow.
* Oleg Kashin worked for leading Russian daily Kommersant * Covered opposition protests, national politics * Medvedev personally orders in
- RIA Novosti
- Hundreds of people protest in Moscow, Russia, to demand action over an attack on journalist Oleg Kashin.
- Emergency teams comb snowy fields outside Moscow Monday for debris from a crashed Russian airliner and the remains of the 71 people who died. Transport Minister Maksim Sokolov says that emergency teams have already found the plane's flight data recorder, which will help them determine the crash's cause, but notes that the search for the victims' remains will take at least a week.
- Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny is arrested by police at a protest rally in Moscow. His arrest comes shortly after police raid the headquarters of his unregistered Progress Party in an apparent attempt to disrupt online broadcasts of opposition rallies against Vladimir Putin, while police say they were looking for a bomb. Navalny is released from police custody without charge late Sunday but needs to appear in court later.
- A public transport bus crashes into Slavyansky Bulvar subway station entrance in Moscow, Russia, killing four and injuring eleven.
- A fire at the Sindika Trade Center, a construction materials shopping center in the northwestern edge of Moscow, Russia, forces the evacuation of at least 3000 people.