Finance Ministers from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meet in Tokyo, Japan.
- Reuters (Image)
- The world's first autonomous taxi service begins operating in Tokyo, Japan. The pilot project will run until September 8, with full commercial operations expected to start in 2020, when the city hosts the 2020 Summer Olympics.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker hold a summit in Tokyo and sign a deal creating an open trade zone between their states.
- Typhoon Mindulle is forecast to make landfall near the Japanese capital Tokyo with flights and train services being cancelled. It arrives one day after Typhoon Kompasu.
- Yōichi Masuzoe resigns as the Governor of the Japanese capital Tokyo over a political funding scandal. He was due to face a no-confidence motion in the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly later today.
- Thousands protest outside the Japanese parliament in Tokyo against the relocation of a U.S. military base on Okinawa Island. Residents cite noise, pollution, and crime as reasons for not wanting a new base built.